Copyright 2020 Affordable Family Law.
All Rights Reserved.


Call For Free Consultation


How does the Court define a minor child?

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]The term minor child might seem like it would have an obvious definition, but in Arizona it can have two different meanings depending on the context in which it is being used. A child is considered a minor child for purposes of legal decision making authority, child custody and parenting time as long as they are under 18 years of age. However, things get a little more involved when determining if a child is a minor for purposes of child support...

Continue reading

What is a contested Arizona divorce?

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]If you and your spouse are unable to reach agreements about your divorce, one of you will file a petition, and the other one will file a response. These are the first two steps that lead to a contested divorce.   To file a response, means "to contest". In Arizona, we call it a response, but it means the same thing as contesting. This is why you people refer to this kind of divorce as a "contested divorce".   Many people think the...

Continue reading

How do you file for divorce in Arizona?

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text] Filing for Divorce in AZ There are a couple of requirements that must be met before someone files for a Maricopa County Divorce. No one is required by law to hire a lawyer or any other legal professional for assistance. Although hiring legal assistance is not required by law, it can be very helpful and make the process much easier. As long as the person filing for the divorce is living in Arizona, there is a good chance they can...

Continue reading

What if my ex-spouse does not do what was ordered in the divorce, regarding property, debt, assets, or children?

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text] Once the case has been finalized, if your ex does not comply with what was ordered, you can file a Petition to Enforce with the Court. A hearing will be scheduled, where a Judge will enforce what was ordered and make your ex comply. We can help you with filing a Petition to Enforce. Contact us today for a free consultation and assistance![/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]...

Continue reading

Process Service: How do I serve someone?

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]The Court requires that once you file your Petition for divorce, you must then have your spouse served. You can serve divorce papers to your spouse in various ways. If you and your spouse are divorcing amicably, your spouse can simply accept a copy of your divorce Petition and sign off on an Acceptance of Service that you will file with the Court.   If your spouse does not know you are filing for divorce or refuses to accept service of...

Continue reading

How Much Does a Divorce Cost Without a Lawyer?

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]The cost of a divorce without a lawyer can vary. It’s entirely possible to get divorced without a lawyer and for free— if you prepare your own paperwork and you qualify as low income. Using Maricopa County as an example, there is a $349 filing fee for a divorce. If you prepared your own paperwork, then the only fee you would need to pay is the court fee. If you collect social security, or nutrition assistance— you can even have...

Continue reading

What if my children live in another state?

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]If your children live out of state, you may need to file your case in another state. In order to file papers in the state of Arizona, the children must have lived in the state for the past 6 months. Arizona will not take jurisdiction of a child who lives in another state. Sometimes things can get confusing if there are orders out of one county and the children now live in another. If your children live in another...

Continue reading

How long does my spouse have to respond or contest the divorce?

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]If your spouse wants to contest the divorce, they need to file a response with the court. The amount of time they have to respond depends on where they live. If your spouse lives in the state of Arizona, they are given 20 days to file a response. If your spouse lives out of state, they are given 30 days to file a response. When your spouse doesn't file a response in the given time, you can ask the...

Continue reading

What are Temporary Orders?

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]Are you asking yourself any of the following questions? How can I make sure I see my kids while I'm waiting for my divorce to be finalized? Do I get financial support while I'm waiting for my divorce to be finalized?  How can I get temporary custody? If you are asking yourself those questions, then the answer you need is Temporary Orders. Temporary Orders are Court orders regarding various issues pending the final trial or settlement. There are a myriad...

Continue reading

When will I begin to receive child support or spousal maintenance (alimony)?

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]Support payments do not go into effect until the divorce or custody case has been finalized. That means that if you are entitled to receive child support or alimony from the other party, those payments are to begin on the first day of the first month following the finalization of the case. If you are entitled to child support from a divorce finalized in October, the payments would begin on November 1st. Similarly, you would receive spousal support on...

Continue reading